Yes Farjo, just the pictures.
Regarding the feature, I've hit a wall, and I don't know what to do.
- Spending 0.15s to 0.3s per page doing that query is out of the question for me.
- I tried to optimize it. I failed.
- Then I decided I'd give a try to retrieving only the EXISTENCE of an unread message for every board, instead of the number of unread messages. That would be faster, wouldn't it..? Wrong. At best, I get the same performance. At worst, I "optimize" the query even more and I end up with a 0.4s query... Uh, uh.
- Unless someone can help with optimizing (@Pandos?), I have to give up on this one.
- So, I also tried to cache the results... Of course, it's super fast this way. However, I'd have to clear the cache every time either log_topics or log_mark_read tables are modified... *And* every time a new message is posted, of course. I suspect that Wedge would thus spend way more time invalidating the cache, than actually reading from it.
- Finally, the last alternative is to add a user setting, disabled by default (to help with performance). This is a bit of a cop-out, and doesn't have the same 'wow' factor.
- Oh yes, yet another alternative would be that I restore log_boards... Ah, ah! Just kidding. Not only is it too late, but I removed the table for a reason.
- Also the possibility of just removing the feature, at the cost of upsetting Johnny54. I've spent a couple of days on this, and I don't know what's worse to me... Spending another couple of days on it (with the risk that it fails to work), or just accepting that Wedge won't please everyone.
Please feel free to comment on any of the points I mentioned in this post. I'm at a complete loss, and honestly if I don't get feedback on this, I'm prepared to remove the feature without second thoughts.